The Busiest Weekend

In these parts, the BC Day weekend is definitely the busiest holiday of the year, but it’s a mixed blessing.

The Tulameen Family Days Festival contributes considerably, but this year that was reported to be quieter. Apparently it was more like the way it used to be. One person was unhappy about the horseshoes rules having changed, but if that was the worst of it then the festival should certainly be counted as a success.

The weekend traffic through Coalmont was also quieter. There was no gridlock at the stop sign and the line up never went past Front Street. That’s not to say that there wasn’t a steady stream of cars, off road vehicles, and campers coming through town, there was, but compared to last year and the year before, it was somewhat diluted.

The quads and dirt bikes make another story though. It is, of course, hard to measure, but there was a lot of noise and dust kicked up around here. The KVR trail was busy and there was a fair amount of racing through town. Most of that seems to be kids having fun in the country. There is probably not much chance for racing around on loud motorized vehicles in their own neighbourhood.

One of the reasons for a quieter Tulameen Days was the increased police presence, and the prohibition of camping on the river. That social segment has been a cause of much trouble in the past. A problem for us is that those people then started coming here to look for a place to party. It was particularly rowdy the last two years but this weekend the worst offenders seemed to stay away and the Granite Creek Camp-ground was more civilized.

Still, the camp-ground was filled to the brim and there was lots of partying. According to one regular resident at the camp site, kids motor sports dominated the environment during the day and made the place very unpleasant for those that prefer a more traditional camping experience. Of course there was the usual alcohol fuelled rowdiness but this year was also better on that account.

Ernie Rice and Sam Clark worked the whole weekend to keep the camp ground under control. Although it was a lot of hard work, Sam said she was quite satisfied with the situation this year and reports that there was only one major incident. On Friday evening the police had to be called and a particularly rambunctious fellow taken away. Perhaps the most significant change this year was that the partyers gathered up all the garbage in one place, and for that she says, “thanks!”